What is a tradition?

A tradition is a belief, idea or custom that is handed down from one generation to the next.  The Thanksgiving Holiday is an American tradition because most Americans celebrate this holiday.

In the historical fiction story, Milly and Macy’s Parade, we learned that it was the Macy’s immigrant employees that brought some of their old world traditions to help create the first Macy’s parade.

millymacy

In Balloons Over Broadway, we learned about the true story of Tony Sarg, the puppeteer who helped to create the large balloons that are now a tradition in the Macy’s Parade.  Did you know that Tony was an immigrant also?

Can you think of some other American traditions?

How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

What are some of your family traditions?

16 thoughts on “What is a tradition?

1. justin

one of my familys traditions is playing football on thanksgiveing and i celebrate by eating turkey on thanksgiveing and haveing family over on holodays

Reply
  2. Cassie

Dear Mrs.Rosenqusit,
    On Thanksgiving I to my Aunt’s house and she makes the turkey and I play with my cousin.And then when the is done turkey I eat. Then I go back to playing.Then my most favorite part is when there is dessert. That’s what I do on Thanksgiving!
    From,
    Cassie

Reply
  3. Kayla

Dear class,
    Yes I have a family tradition.I go to my ants house and Santa comes.Every year we take turns going to all of my ants and cousons houses.
    from,
    Kayla

Reply
    1. Cassie

Dear Kayla,
      Does Santa come on Christmas?Or on Thanksgiving but I think it is Christmas. do you get toys from that Santa?
      From,
      Cassie

Reply
      1. Panika

Dear Cassie and Kayla,
        Santa comes on Christmas.This Christmas I got a pogo stick.Yesterday (January 4 2015) I jumped on my pogo stick 381 times.I am not kiding.My dad thinks I am kiding
        Love,
        Panika

Reply
  4. Griffin

Dear Mrs Rosenquist,
    I don’t know any other traditions but maybe our class can make our own.I celebrate thanksgiving at my cousins house with my cousins and my grandma and papa and my family.A tradition we do is we all hold the wish bone and we all break it at the same time and we all make a wish.and sometimes my aunt brings lots.
    From,
    Griffin

Reply
  5. Abby

Dear Mrs Rosenquist,
    Hi I always watch the Thanksgiving parade in the morning with my dad.My dad said one day we can watch the parade in person!I hope it will be this year:)!I also think my dad patrolled the parade last year. Isn’t that cool!I like when Santa comes down the street.Whats your favorite part?
    From
    Abby

Reply
  6. Panika

Dear Mrs.Rosenquist,
    some other American traditions are Christmas,Honika,Easter,Valentine’s Day and Fourth of July. One my family traditions is Diwali.We light something called dia. What are some of your family traditions?
    From,
    Panika

Reply
  7. Kyle

Dear Mrs Rosenquist
    there are more traditions in Poland that were created than the parade,the Christmas parade was created in Poland before it came to the U.S.A, the parade was created in Poland 1724.
    from Kyle

Reply
  8. Nick

Dear MrsRosenquist,
    This is how I celebrate thanksgiving. I watch the Macy’s parade I also eat turkey sometimes I eat pumpkin pie.This year I’m going to my friends house.how do you celebrate thanksgiving?
    from,
    Nick

Reply
  9. Ariah

Dear Class,
    I celebrate Thanksgiving by putting all the food on the table and get our food. Then me and my mom make sweet potato pie’s for everyone to take home. Does anyone celebrate Thanksgiving like that.
    From,
    Ariah

Reply
  10. hannah

Dear Mrs. Rosenquist,
    I celebrate Thanksgiving by making a turkey and
    good food for Thanks giving. I invite a lot of people.
    love,
    Hannah

Reply
  11. Ethan

Dear Mrs.Rosenquist,
    No I did not know Tony was an immigrant.I’ve never herd of Tony until we
    read that book
    From
    Ethan

Reply
  12. Ms. D

Dear Class,

Last year, my family and I started a tradition where we go to a Christmas Tree Farm the day after Thanksgiving and cut down our own Christmas Tree. We went to a farm out east and got to ride on a tractor to pick out our tree! It was so much fun spending time with my family. I can’t wait to go again next year.

From,
    Ms. D

Reply